Asset managers spent a larger part of their advertising budget to promote equities, fixed income, ETFs, multi asset and ESG, according to data from Fundamental Monitor
Asset management companies put a greater focus on promoting specific asset classes and strategies in Europe during Q3 2023, data from Fundamental Monitor shows.
All the major asset classes and strategies saw an increase in promotion during Q3, particularly ETFs which made up only 1% of overall advertising during Q2 but 9% a quarter later. Multi asset also saw a significant increase, doubling to 10% in Q3, which is the highest percentage seen since the start of 2020.
Meanwhile, equities advertising saw its share increase from 10% to 12%, while the promotion of fixed income grew from 8% to 12%. ESG advertising increased from 10% in Q2 to 13% in Q3, the highest level seen since Q4 2022.
There was little movement in ad purpose during Q3. Brand campaigns made up 51% of all advertising, down from 52% a quarter earlier, while the promotion of insights decreased from 24% to 22%. Fund promotion saw a slight increase from 23% to 27%.
While the number of active advertisers promoting equities grew from 10 to 16 during Q3, the number of fixed income advertisers dropped from 23 in Q2 to 18 in Q3. There was one less active advertiser promoting multi asset and ESG, but one more ETF advertiser in Q3 compared to Q2.
Below are some examples of the type of campaigns that were in market in Europe during Q3 2023:
Brand campaign – Franklin Templeton
Fund promotion – Gravis Capital
ETFs – iShares
Multi asset – DJE Kapital